We are the people behind Ireland’s national electricity grid. We make sure that every home, business, school, hospital, factory and farm has power - when and where they need it.
And that’s just the beginning of our story. We are now transforming the power system for future generations. Be part of the change.
Our focus is on safety, security and reliability. Our work environment is challenging, fast-moving, collaborative and team orientated. Our culture is driven by performance, knowledge and continual development. Our people are committed to reducing Ireland’s reliance on fossil fuels and making decarbonisation a reality – while providing a safe and reliable electricity supply in a way that secures the future for those who follow us.
Our future has never looked more exciting. And this is an incredible opportunity to be part of it. The world is ready for change. If you are too, join us. Operations Function:
The Chief Innovation and Planning Office comprises highly skilled professionals with backgrounds in engineering and business/commerce. The core responsibility of CIPO is to plan the power system and market of the future and innovate in how we operate and develop the grid to ensure we meet climate change targets and decarbonise the electricity system. Creating a culture of continuous improvement that drives technical and process innovation is central to delivering on these roles.
This is an excellent opportunity for an innovative, solution focussed, resilient and motivated individual to join our leadership team and play a key role in the transition to a low carbon energy future. Role Description:
Work with the CIPO Leadership Team to consider the power system and market of the future. This will involve working collaboratively across the organisation and leading broader engagement with our stakeholders as we strive to transform the power system for future generations. The successful applicant will demonstrate an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment and will have the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for carrying out technical analysis to a high degree of accuracy including detailed power system analysis, such as steady state load flow, voltage and short circuit analysis & power system economic analysis.
- You will deliver on a range of technical and commercial projects designed to achieve regulated targets & meet stakeholder needs in line with company requirements.
- You will work across our teams continually improving how we use our range of power system study and security tools - PSS/E, Power Factory, Plexos, Alternative Transient Program, Powertech DSA.
- You will apply your skills, knowledge and experience to effectively deliver on your team’s objectives, overcoming new challenges and technical issues as they arise.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Using your technical, report writing and verbal communications skills, you will work with senior colleagues as we step fully into our role as thought leaders across the energy sector.
- Lead a portfolio of projects, ensuring that appropriate project controls are in place within the team having regard to budgets, schedule, quality, risk and activity monitoring.
- We’ll also look to you to stay up to date with national and international developments in your area.
- We need you to seek out ways to continuously improve the way we work to make it more efficient and effective as well as transparent and easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Engineering degree or equivalent, with a minimum of 4 years post qualification experience.
- Proven experience carrying out power system analysis, proficiency in the use of power flow analysis tools along with professional judgement to make decisions which drive investments are important here.
- Awareness of energy targets and ambitions for decarbonisation of the energy sector
- Proven experience of leading a portfolio of strategic, power system analysis projects – overseeing the delivery of complex solutions and an ability to drive successful outcomes
- Ability to lead and influence others to move towards a common vision or goal and able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Ability to coach and develop high performance capabilities in a changing and dynamic environment
- Exceptional communicator, able to articulate technical concepts and analysis to non-technical audiences and business leaders
- Passionate, engaging with a drive and enthusiasm to deliver on the company vision and strategy with and through others
- Expertise in conceiving and introducing innovative ideas, solutions or new ways of doing things to solve business problems, collaborating with business experts along the way
- Experience using PSS/E, DIgSILENT PowerFactory, Plexos or other power systems analysis software Experience carrying out power system analysis and proficient in the use power flow analysis tools Experience of working within a similar environment
If you believe you have the skills and experience to take up this position, please upload your application (CV with cover letter in one document) no later than 18th January 2021.
EIRGRID IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER